In the end of XIX – beginning of XX century importers brought to Russia a lot of French and German dolls, as Russia practically didn’t produced dolls this time.
Children in Csar’s family was brought up in austerity, and every doll was a dear guest in nursery.
The last Russian Tsar, Nicolaus II brought up respect to Russian history in his children, and even foreighn dolls was serving to this purposes.
For most of the dolls were sewed traditional dresses. In the Tsar’s collections were kept several antique dolls in traditional russian garments, as well as doll dresses of other nations of Russian Empire, as Tartar, Osetin ot Ukranian.
During the visit of Romanov’s family to Paris in 1896, French president presented to princess Olga fabulous troussot of valuable sorts of tress. There was a doll with full trousseau: including dresses, lingerie, hats, shoes and even dresser set.
The doll furniture for princesses was producing mainly in St. Petersburg. On one table of mahogany there is factory label: Nouveau magasin Etranger, Supplier of Imperial Court, Bolshaya Konyashinnaya 2, St. Petersburg.
On the photo from the right you can see Jumeau doll in the dress that fully copies garment of Russian Empress of 1772.